on... New Year 2010!

Posted by Mark A. Johnson | Posted in | Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010

Happy New Year - 2010!
Hi and welcome to my first blog of the new decade (actually my first blog ever).

This is the time of year where we reflect on the previous twelve months and set out our good intentions for the next twelve, so I thought we might start by looking at how some brave (read slightly crazy) Cream City citizens started their 2010 - The Polar Bear Plunge.



On New Years Day while many in Scotland would be welded to the sofa suffering from the effects of the previous night's generously sized whiskey's (and even though they are six hours ahead of Milwaukee - they probably still were), resolving, as is the tradition, "to not drink any more"... mind you they never said they would drink any less either! - a few (quite a few actually) wild and barely dressed lads & lassies opted to washout their hangover in a little different manner.



Gathered along Milwaukee's Lake Michigan shore front at Bradford Beach were all sorts of colorfull charachters (I still find it unusual to see snow on a sandy beach, I have to keep telling myself it's a lake!), some dressed in costumes, some in sleeping bags, others in 'man-kinis' and all looking just a little pale. I was quite colorful myself, bright yellow snow jacket, black snow pants, thick orange socks and, as I'm from Scotland, even with all my winter layers - the obligatory pale blue skin!

They were all there to take the plunge into the near freezing waters of the lake. Some do it to raise money for a good cause, others to wash out the past years' 'ghosts' and others... well, just because they can! .



It's always a fun event and a great place to catch the slightly off kilter side of the community, here's a couple more shots - enjoy!!



The air tempertaure was around 14F (about minus 10c) brrr!!!




Comments (1)

\Hi Mark love the photos "you got Talent " give us more ,,,Isabella

Post a Comment